Written By: Dr. Tatyana Johnson ~
In the US, supplements are a multibillion-dollar industry that is overwhelmed by the abundance of brand names, companies, and media advertisements. With so many options, it is incredibly hard to determine which products are good quality and are the right choice for your health. Approximately 95% of my patients report during their first visit that they do not know how to choose the right vitamins for them or that they take vitamins because their friends are taking them, they saw a TV ad, or they searched for their symptoms online. Although you might think that supplements or herbs are completely harmless substances that might cure your ailments, before taking any pills, I highly encourage you to consult with a healthcare practitioner who will help you make the right choice.
Facts to consider before starting any supplements:
- Know your specific needs and why, according to your health condition and symptoms.
- Ensure your gastrointestinal system is healthy in order to absorb these supplements effectively.
- Be able to read the label and understand the ingredients, appropriate dosage, and side effects.
- Understand how supplements can interact with all other medications, supplements, and herbs you are taking.
- Understand the pathway of action and metabolism. Some vitamins require a cofactor or another supplement to be able to be absorbed and metabolized. If this cofactor is not added, it does not make any logic to take the vitamin.
- All vitamins are either water or lipid soluble. For example, vitamins D, A, and E should be in gel or liquid form, not tablets, for the best efficiency.
- Supplements and herbs will only work if taken regularly. You need to be familiar with how long to take them.
- If a supplement company claims that its product is everything you need and you’ll need it for a lifetime, this is a red flag—don’t buy it.
- Buy supplements from a trusted dispensary or company, making sure that substances are tested for heavy metals, pesticides, and other toxins.
It you need help selecting high quality herbs or supplements, please make an appointment with Dr. Tatyana. The gift of health is the best thing you can give yourself and your family.